Saturday, January 26, 2008

As it applies to worship

1 Cor 2:1-5
When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power.
.
.
.
So the thought came to my mind how this passage applies to leading worship, and I realized how it really speaks to the ultimate goal a worship team aspires to. When Paul preached he didn't try to capture their thoughts with eloquent speech, or fancy gestures. He wasn't standing in front of them yelling look at me! look at me! he was pleading with them. "Look at the cross, look at the power of God, look at what he has done through His son for those who believe". He directed everyone's attention away from man and pointed it directly at God.
Isn't that the purpose of a worship team? It's not to attract the congregations attention towards one individuals talent, or the talent of the worship team as a whole. The purpose is to focus everyone's attention on God and praising Him. You've heard the saying "Preaching to the choir", I wonder how often congreagations sing to the choir instead of being focused on giving all their praise and worship the God. After a worship service everyone should be in awe of how great God is, not how well the worship team played.

No comments: